Check Your Sump Pump After A Storm
When the rain pours do you check your sump pump?
A proper working sump pump can save you considerable amounts of money after a significant rainfall event. Being a proactive owner during rain storms and checking your home or businesses sump pump will help prevent damage or reduce the damage that can occur. When damage happens SERVPRO of Ottumwa/Grinnell is here to help.
If you answered no to the first question here are some things to consider checking,
- Is there power to the sump pump? Check that it is plugged in and the breaker is not tripped.
- Is the float free of any debris and away from the side wall where it won’t work properly?
- Is the inlet free of any debris that could prevent it from pumping the water out?
- Does the pump work? An easy way to test this is by filling the pit with enough water to reach the float of the sump pump to trigger the pump.
- Check where the sump pump drains. Ensure that it drains far enough from the foundation that the water doesn't leak right back in.